BRYN ENGAN means literally “Hill of the Anvil” in Welsh. There was probably an old forge here, long ago, or possibly the raised promontory we are on is shaped like an anvil?
The house is very old: the earliest record we have found so far is of a John Cadwaladr , born at Bryn Engan, who was baptized locally in the 1640s.
In around 1750, the room which is now our kitchen was used as a chapel, one of the very earliest on the Llyn peninsula. Our very secluded position made Bryn Engan ideal for this! The chapel just up the lane was first built in 1777 and has been rebuilt a couple of times since this. It’s still in use, services happen about once every month or so.
Bryn Engan was farmed until about 2000, when John Jones, the tenant farmer retired, having farmed here for about 40 years. The land was sold off, sealing its fate as a working farm and we bought it in a very sorry and run-down condition. After a year of major renovations, we were ready to welcome our first guests to Bryn Engan and start a new chapter in the life of this historic and beautiful house. Since then, so many people have made it their home for awhile. All this peace and quiet, while being near to so many things to do: we think it's the best of all worlds.