Things to do
There are SO many local attactions and activities, we are spoilt for choice! Here are some of our favourites.
For the adventurous
- Get your walking legs on and conquer Snowdon, the highest mountain in Wales. Plenty more, too!
- Go surfing at Hell's Mouth
- Visit Adventure Parc, Snowdonia( Conwy). Man-made waves to surf, climbing walls and much more
- Try the world's longest zip-wire ! Zipworld is just 22 miles away nr Blaenau Ffestiniog
- Swim on one of the lovely beaches all along the peninsula
- Go horse riding - available at Afonwen and Snowdonia riding stables.
- Hire bikes from Beics Menai, in Caernarfon (13 miles) and ride on Lon Eifion cycle path
- Go go-karting, quad biking, ten-pin bowling, archery, wakeboarding, SUP, fishing and indoor soft play area at Glasfryn Parc (5 miles)
- Go fishing at Bron Eifion, 6 acre coarse fishing lake, near Criccieth (7 miles)
- Go white water rafting at National Whitewater rafting centre (35 miles)
- Golfers love our courses here on the Llyn peninsula: Porthmadog, Criccieth, Pwllheli & Morfa Nefyn are all superbly scenic and welcome visitors.
- try your hand at Segway, paintballing , quad biking at Dragonraiders, (c 5 miles)
See the sights
- Visit Portmeirion Italianate village (13 miles)
- Take a train to the top of Snowdon on the Snowdon Mountain Railway
- Try more narrow gauge railways: the Welsh Highland railway (narrow gauge) runs from Porthmadog to Caernarfon. (You can jump off at Snowdon Ranger stop and nip up the path to Snowdon!). The Ffestiniog goes from Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog.
- See a castle (or three!) at Criccieth (7 miles), Harlech (19 miles) and Caernarfon (13 miles)
- Visit Bardsey Island (Yns Enlli) off the end of the Llyn peninsula
- Watch the ospreys at RSPB centre at Glaslyn (just outside Porthmadog)
- Go down a slate mine (Llechwedd) or a copper mine (Sygun)
- Visit the National Slate Museum at Llanberis
- Visit a garden or two: Plas yn Rhiw, (NT) at the end of the peninsula, Brondanw (Clough Willams Ellis's house) at Croesor, Bodnant (NT)
- Sample our local wine: yes, really! Pant Du vineyard is nearby at Pen y Groes. They do cider too.
- Visit our local brewery - Mws Piws (Purple Moose) - in Porthmadog: tours on Tuesday-Thursday.
- Criccieth (7 miles) - nice beach with a lifeboat station and Cadwalladers ice cream parlour!
- Blackrock Sands (10 miles) - near Portmadog , huge beach
- Hell's Mouth (18 miles) - popular surfing spot
- and many others all along the peninsula
Take the children
- On a railway
- on a beach
- to Bounce Below at LLechwedd (22miles)
- to a castle- Harlech, Criccieth, Caernarfon
- down a mine (Llechwedd, Sygun etc)
- up a hill or mountain
- to Anglesey Sea Zoo
- quad biking or go-karting in Glasfryn (5 miles)
- to Greenwood Forest Park (between Caernarfon and Bangor)
- crabbing, anywhere; Morfa Nefyn is traditional
- to the Dwyfor rabbit farm at Llanystumdwy (6miles)
- on a climbing wall (the Beacon in Caernarfon (14 miles)
- surfing on man-made waves and much more at Adventure Parc, Snowdonia, (Conwy, 40miles)
- Have a drink in Ty Coch overlooking the beach at Porthdinllaen (nr Nefyn): "the third best pub on the beach in the world!"
- Eat ice cream on the seafront at Criccieth
- Eat out at one of the many great local pubs and restaurants in Criccieth, Porthamadog, Pwllheli